Mike and I had dinner with some new friends last week and during the course of dinner they brought up a local market they've been doing some shopping at - Ramona Family Naturals. The store is owned and operated by some of our Grace Church family members and we've been meaning to try it out sometime, but hadn't yet stepped inside.Last weekend I was looking for something to do while the kids were asleep and Mike was playing in the "shop". I decided to swing by the store to do a little exploring. I was really surprised by what I found! In this cute, homey setting is a little bit of just about everything you need: vitamins, baby care items, cleaning supplies, produce, dairy (including raw goat and cow milk), etc. I picked up some coffee that day since we were out and came home to discuss with Mike how we might support this store and maybe make some positive changes to our eating.
Yesterday was our first shopping trip there. It was fun! Cael sat in my little cart and they had a little toy child's cart that Kaylee pushed around behind me. I let her help me pick out groceries and fill her cart. I only wish I'd had a camera! It was so cute watching her maneuver this cart full of groceries and learn how to make turns, fill produce bags, etc. She asked questions about everything and pointed out the things she knew with SO much excitement. Looking at a can of diced tomatoes,"Look mommy! Tomatoes. There's tomatoes! TOMATOES!". I had to make sure to acknowledge her quickly or her volume increased until I paid attention. LOL
Anyway . . . I don't know how long we'll stick with it or if we'll be able to afford this new eating style in the long term, but it does certainly feel good to know what's in our food. Maybe if I need inspiration to keep at it, I can just attempt to watch Food, Inc. again. Last time I tried, I only got about 1/2 hr into it before I realized that either I was going to have to make some serious changes or stop watching. View the trailer here if you aren't sure what I'm talking about:
We can't afford organic meats, so we'll probably decrease our meat intake (maybe shop Bishers?), up our rice and grains intake, and save money by making some thing from scratch (granola, cereal, bread, power snacks, etc).
Anyway . . . I have no desire to convert anyone and don't make any claims that we "eat better" than others. It's just something we'd like to do for ourselves for a while. Wish us luck!
TTFN - Traci
p.s. I'm up to 4 miles on my runs and James (BIL) was kind enough to help me set up a training schedule. It's official . . . I'm addicted!
Yesterday was our first shopping trip there. It was fun! Cael sat in my little cart and they had a little toy child's cart that Kaylee pushed around behind me. I let her help me pick out groceries and fill her cart. I only wish I'd had a camera! It was so cute watching her maneuver this cart full of groceries and learn how to make turns, fill produce bags, etc. She asked questions about everything and pointed out the things she knew with SO much excitement. Looking at a can of diced tomatoes,"Look mommy! Tomatoes. There's tomatoes! TOMATOES!". I had to make sure to acknowledge her quickly or her volume increased until I paid attention. LOL
Anyway . . . I don't know how long we'll stick with it or if we'll be able to afford this new eating style in the long term, but it does certainly feel good to know what's in our food. Maybe if I need inspiration to keep at it, I can just attempt to watch Food, Inc. again. Last time I tried, I only got about 1/2 hr into it before I realized that either I was going to have to make some serious changes or stop watching. View the trailer here if you aren't sure what I'm talking about:
We can't afford organic meats, so we'll probably decrease our meat intake (maybe shop Bishers?), up our rice and grains intake, and save money by making some thing from scratch (granola, cereal, bread, power snacks, etc).
Anyway . . . I have no desire to convert anyone and don't make any claims that we "eat better" than others. It's just something we'd like to do for ourselves for a while. Wish us luck!
TTFN - Traci
p.s. I'm up to 4 miles on my runs and James (BIL) was kind enough to help me set up a training schedule. It's official . . . I'm addicted!
Food Inc. Is good stuff. Check out "Food Matters" too. Glad to hear the running is going well!!
ReplyDeleteStick with it and I was going to say the same thing as James, watch "Food Matters" it's a great film.
ReplyDelete