Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Happy Birthday Baby!

My dear little boy,

I can not believe how time flies by.  Just one year ago I was headed to the hospital right at this time to deliver the most beautiful baby boy my eyes have ever laid on.

Your entrance into this world was our first real indication of just what you would be like - you thrive on chaos and upsets in routine.  My water broke the night before, but I stayed home waiting for contractions to begin.  Nothing.  Not a one.  After hours of waiting, we finally decided to head down knowing it meant the dreaded pitocin route.  Despite a couple heart rate dips, that actually went pretty smoothly, but STILL you were not progressing and after, I think, about 8 hours of pitocin, I was only at 5 cm.  That was when a nurse discovered a second (!!!) amniotic sac.  Once broken, you were on your way! 

We stayed in the hospital with you less than 24 hours and then headed home.  You seemed so angelic at the time and I thought I was getting another "easy" baby.  LOL!!!  Except for nursing, you were not.  Our nursing relationship got off to a great start and for the most part, it stayed pretty easy with you.  In fact, I sometimes wonder just how I'm going to get you to stop!  But we'll cross that road when we get to it. 
 You weren't a great sleeper from the start and we've had many trials in that way since about day 3.  After many sleepless nights we finally discovered sleeping in your swing was the only way.  You did that for over 3 months and then BAM - one day you decided you weren't sleeping there any more.    We worked through the next months and now you've become a pretty good sleeper.  We've learned that you simply MUST talk/cry yourself to sleep.  And now we know you like to have a roommate.

More than anything else, we've discovered that you thrive on a lack of routine.  You're just like your daddy in that way.  Want to go shopping?  No problem.  Throw you in the car and you'll nap on the way.  Want to stay up until 10 pm?  "No problem! Just give me a little catnap and then I'll play with grandma and grandpa all night.  Just whatever you do - don't put me on a routine!" 

You're an obedient little boy and you've quickly learned what "No" and "Do Not Touch" mean.  You don't always comply, but I think you do well for a one yr old and you're better all the time.

You have a crazy long attention span.  You can keep busy playing with the same toy for an hour or longer.  It's amazing, really.  And you are so interested in how things work.  You don't just want to push your trucks around in the house, you want to flip them over, spin each wheel, and see what they do.  You want to hit every button and key on your toys until you've memorized the sound or action each one will take.  You want to pull EVERY SINGLE book off the shelf until they're in a nice pile on the floor.  I haven't figured that one out yet.  : )

I pray for you daily, little boy.  I'm enjoying every step of this journey as I watch you develop into a toddler.  And I can't wait to see you as a little boy, a young man, and eventually a man of God.  God has a plan for you and we're praying now that you discover His purposes early in life and that you follow Him closely on every step of this journey that He leads you.

Daddy, sister, and I love you very much.  Love,  Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment