Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What do you do all day?

Everybody knows that it's BAD to ask a stay at home mom that question. And no, Mikey hasn't done it either. But some days, I could swear that I've done absolutely nothing and yet been very very busy. So where DOES my time go each day? Today, I decided to pay attention. And so I'll share it with you. A typical day in the life of Traci goes something like this:

Between 2 & 3 am: Feed Kaylee

4:30 am: Wake up with Mike, but go back to sleep

5:30 am: Get up. Make Mike's breakfast and lunch. Do our daily devotional (we're reading Night Light for Parents by James Dobson)

6:30 am: Kiss Mike goodbye and do my own quiet time.

7:00 am: Kaylee wakes up. Nurse, diaper change, she comes with me while I let the cat in and the dog out and feed the dog. Open all the drapes. Then I feed her breakfast. Takes about 45 min.

7:45 am: I do dishes while Kaylee plays in her highchair and nibbles cherrios

8:30 am: Kaylee gets bored with the chair so I take her out and we play on the floor.

8:50 am: Diaper change, nurse and down for a nap by 9:00.

9:00 - 10:00: I finish dishes and usually work on music for praise team or quartet. I've been put in charge of the church's music database.

10:00 am: Kaylee is up! While she plays nearby I do general housecleaning, laundry, pay bills, or whatever needs to get done. Put her in the pack and play for a bit while I shower and dress.

11:00 am: Prepare Kaylee's lunch and feed her.

12:00 pm: Run any quick errands or finish household chores. Today it was the bank and post office. Water plants, grab mail, etc.

1:00 pm: Nurse and down for a nap. I can finally eat lunch. I generally check emails around this time and then do whatever I can to get dinner ready or prepped to cook later.

3:00 pm: Kaylee is up! Change diaper and bring her out to play in the living room. Attempt to let her play without mauling the cat. Run longer errands around this time of day if necessary.

4:00 pm: Dog goes outside (if she was in) and I pick up toys and vaccuum the house. Change Kaylee if she's dirty and prepare for daddy to come home. Yipeeee!

5:00 or so: Mike comes home. Most evenings he plays with Kaylee while I finish dinner.

5:30 or 6:00 pm: Dinner time! We eat as a family almost every night. It means lots of cold food for me since I'm occupied helping Kaylee, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

6:30 pm: Music time! See earlier posts for more info on that . . .

6:50 pm: Bath, nurse and to bed shortly after 7:00 pm. Whew!!!!

7 - 9 pm: Hang out with Mike, unwind, and prepare to do it all again the next day . . .

I'm eternally grateful to my husband for ensuring I can stay home. I can't fathom what it's like to fit a full time job around all of this. I truly don't know how working moms do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment