I remember it happening with Kaylee . . . there were days, maybe even moments, when it suddenly struck me that she was different. Like a light went on somewhere inside her and suddenly she was just . . . older. Less baby, and more child.
 |
Kickin back watching VeggieTales Together
|
Yesterday was a day like that for Cael. It's hard to describe, but he's suddenly different. More independant, more his own person, there's more personality there, there are expressions and actions that I've never seen before. And it all came on out of the blue and blindsided the mommy who can't believe her tiny baby is . . . a toddler?
 |
Hanging out with Auntie
|
I love it though. His crying is less and less and generally it actually MEANS something now. And if you can find the solution to it, he actually STOPS! ((What a concept!!!)) He's pointing at what he wants. He's starting to allow me to ween him (going from morning until bedtime with no nursing! Yea!). He's climbing into chairs and rocking and climbing onto daddy's skateboard and trying to stand on it just like dad. He's cuddling with sis while watching a video (for short periods anyway). He's playing with his sister for hours at a time, and when he gets bored with that, he goes off and plays alone - where he can't see me!
He's following directions, too. When I change him, he's actually helping to dress himself. He comes when I call him and goes to his highchair when I ask if he's ready to eat. All the sudden there's a level of understanding there that actually warrants a reaction.
 |
| Skateboarding with dad |
Kaylee has reached a new milestone as well . . . reasoning! The girl is just too smart for her own good. Just moments ago she came over to ask me if she could play with The Bears (an ornament hung on our door last year that she has been asking about every time we come in the house for the last year). I told her no, because they are very delicate and can break. Her response,"But what if I hold them hold them careful and touch very easy? Then can I see them?" I had to reward her for such a logical argument.
Last night she called me to her bed before I left the room so that she could say her prayer (Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep). She's recited the whole thing with or after us before, but this time she did the entire prayer by herself with no prompting from us. It was an awesome thing to hear.
Potty training is going better and better. She spends part of her day in big-girl underwear now and although we have lots of accidents, they're getting more infrequent.
Some things don't change though. I still go in most nights to pick up Kaylee off the floor outside Cael's crib and put her into bed. And at naptime, she typically falls asleep on the floor reading books. Not the worst problems in the world, right? : )
I know if you're reading this and you aren't a parent, you're like "what the big deal?". But if you've been here, you know that every one of these moments is just more amazing than the last.
I can't wait to see what's next.
Come back!!!!!! i miss stories :)
ReplyDelete